Saturday, August 1, 2009

It's all been done and said

"I'm heaven sent, don't you dare forget. I am all you've ever wanted, what all the other girls all promised. Sorry I told. I just needed you to know. I think in decimals and dollars. I am the cause to all your problems, shelter from cold. We are never alone. Coordinate brain and mouth, then ask me what it's like to have myself so figured out. I wish I knew..."
"Am I loud and clear, or am I breaking up? Am I still your charm, or am I just bad luck? Are we getting closer or are we just getting more lost?"
I'm feeling musical, can you tell? I'm out of my grunge/classic rock stage and revisiting my acoustic punk stage, it seems. Brand New, Rise Against, Yellowcard and Sugarcult. Saves the Day. Say Anything. You know how it is. "Cause we live on front porches and swing life away. And we get by just fine here on minimum wage. If love is a labour, I'll slave till the end. I won't cross these streets until you hold my hand."
But no song fills me with as much passion as "Jude Law and a Semester Abroad" by Brand New. The acoustic version is okay but I'm in love with the original. "I still taste you, thus reserve my right to hate you. And all this empty space that you create does nothing for my flawless sense of style." So much how I feel about my most recent ex. "And if you ever said you missed me, then don't say you never lied-I'm without you."
I especially love the title- "Jude Law and a Semester Abroad." Jude Law is like the perfect upstanding English boy, and the 'semester abroad' bit is because the song is about the lead singer's girlfriend taking a semester abroad in England, hence Jude Law.
And this part reminds me of Nick, and how I know I'll feel when it all ecentually ends: "But I've got a plan, I've got a plan: to drink for fourty days and fourty nights; a sip for every second-hand tick and for every time fed me the line, 'you mean so much to me'. I'm without you. Because he's always encouraged me not to drink, I think if he ever cheats or dumps me that's how I'll forget. It seems so perfect. And he always tells me how important I am to him, and when it ends it'll be like he was feeding me those lines, that bullshit. Just perfect.
But this is more like how me and Nick are now: "I am thinking it's a sign, that the freckles in our eyes are mirror images. And when we kiss they're perfectly aligned." Not that we've ever kissed but it really does feel like we're almost-perfect matches. Well... not really. There is so much I hate about him and all of my 'I love you"s are so much nothing. I know it's going to end eventually and he can't get this through his head. So stubborn. It will not come in handy when this actually ends.
"They will see us waving from such great heights, 'come down now', they'll say. But everything looks perfect from far away,'come down now', but we'll stay..."
(Credits: First song, "Okay I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't", Brand New. Second song, "Swing Life Away", Rise Against. Third song, the same. Fourth and fifth, "Jude Law and a Semester Abroad" by Brand New, sixth, the same. Seventh and eighth, "Such Great Heights" by The Postal Service.)

No comments:

Post a Comment